Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Of. The. Devil.

Seventh graders are Of. The. Devil. They are the root of all evil.

I work with one group of 7th graders daily; they come to me for a reading class. I require then to bring a book or magazine or reading material of their choice to class every day. And they argue about it. They whine about it. They "forget." This has been required since the Monday BEFORE Thanksgiving and this week, I snapped. I said enough was enough. I told them that bringing the book each day was a grade worth 10 points. If they show up with the book they get 10; if they don't they get zero. So far this week, each day half of the kids have received zeroes.

Our school also has a homework policy and I have been very lenient with them. I told them last Monday, at the start of the new quarter, we were going to enact the homework policy in my room. I told them that for the last 27 weeks, all their other teachers have made them tow the line and we were kicking into gear in my room. So as of tonight, I have 7 out of 13 kids getting homework detentions and "Night School" with the principal. They have been warned and warned and warned. Last week they just pissed me off and again, I snapped. Tomorrow I'm calling all 7 parents about the detentions and night school. One girl is one step away from going to alternative school for a day, if we follow the school policy because she hasn't turned in ANY ASSIGNMENTS for two weeks. AND I want to say, in my defense, I have been reminding her every day she owes me work. I have said it and put it in writing, one or the other, EVERY DAY. I have even tracked her down in other classes to remind her, all to no avail!

One 7th grade boy told me my assignments were "retarded" and he "hates reading and you can't fricking make me do it." He rolled his eyes at me, and said "gawd" about every third word. I wrote him up with a referral and he went to the principal. The next day he repeated his performance because he obviously learned NOTHING so he met with a team of 7th grade teachers. Today he just glared at me for the rest of the day............. He is the King Of. The. Devils. I think I can honestly say I hate that boy. I really do. I want to punch him. Hard.

So I would say that I should never work with 7th graders again, because they are Of. The. Devil.

Satan's Keeper,
Maggie Mae

5 comments:

Curley said...

You go Teach! Unfortunately kids of this age seem to want to test authority figures to see if they really mean thier threats. On the other hand most of the time they just don't care. Till it't too late.

Kranky Granny said...

Maggie,

My grandson is now an eight grader. One of his classmates was attacked by a seventh grader last week. This student brought a crow bar to school in his back pack and used it to hit the eighth grader in the back of the head as hard as he could swing the crow bar. He even had another seventh grader distract the eighth grader so he could do it.

We live in a small town in a rural area of the county. This is the first year that the school has had any problems and there have been several this year all started by seventh graders.

I think it all has to do with combining puberty with violent video games. There are several online Combat games all the rage here right now.

Evil Pixie said...

Hahaha! I know I should laugh but that opening line is hysterical (and true!).

Maggie said...

Curley- thanks!

Rita- OMG that's terrible. I hope the kid is in jail. I hope the 8th grader is okay? it's so sad when it turns to violence. I certainly hope your school took an active role in taking care of this situation.

Thank you for commenting.

And You have proven that it can always be worse.

Evil P- thanks ;)

Thyda said...

My best friend thinks that her fourth graders are the devil. I think your 7th graders win.

Good luck!