Pages

Friday, March 5, 2010

Bitch mode

This has been a week from hell with our school kids- all of 'em, not just the special education kids.

The week started with three half days of standardized testing. These tests determine if the kids will pass to their next grade levels or not, so let's say people were tense. That screwed up the morning schedules for all of us in the building. Then the 8th graders went on a field trip two afternoons- which screwed up those days even further. Let's add a pep rally this afternoon which meant we ran on our "alternative schedule" day, ie: shorter class periods all day. Oh, and did I mention the kids had a celebration afternoon for completing the standardized test? Oh yes, they spent the entire afternoon playing dodge ball and other games with balls flying around and I'm a fat girl with glasses who hates being in a gym with kids turned loose like that.

In short, this feels like the longest week in history.

The kids were off the wall. The pressure of the tests builds up, I realize. And this week the teachers cannot give homework nor are they supposed to introduce a new concept so when they were actually IN CLASSES they played games or watched movies. It think they were either in a totally STRUCTURED atmosphere or so completely unstructured that it wasn't funny.

We had kids in trouble this week who have never been in trouble before. I had kids being mouthy to me that are never and the level of disrespect and "envelope pushing" were at an all time high this week. Swear to goddess, I handed a kid his assignment this morning at 7:48AM (three minutes into the school day) and he looked at me and said, "Oh fuck". Are you kidding me? Off he went to the office with a referral! I can honestly say I've had enough "kid" this week.

Sheesh!

TGIF!
Mags

5 comments:

Jimmie Earl said...

Yes! What you said!
JE

Anonymous said...

on NO... have a cold one you will feel better!

Duchess of Tea said...

Maggie darling, I popped in to personally thank you for the sweet birthday wishes you left for Christopher. We are both ever so grateful for you kindness.

Love & Hugs
Duchess

Bragger said...

It must be universal. Our kids were crazy this week, especially today. The full moon was last Sunday, people! At least it's the weekend....

Curley said...

Ok, I'm ready for that movie. Give me a call.