Pages

Monday, August 31, 2009

Weird habit

I have a strange habit. Or maybe it's more of an OCD than a habit, actually...

I subscribe to several magazines and every few months I take the stack and go through the book review sections of each of them. I re-read each review (because I know I read it the first time I got it in the mail) and if it sounds like something I want to read, I highlight the review. Then I rip it out of the magazine, make a file folder of the pages and go to the library and check out everything I marked.

And I go so far to order the book via Inter Library Loan if the library doesn't have the book- then I proceed to read them all as they roll in. And if the library can't get a book via ILL then I buy it on Amazon...

I refuse to throw the magazines away or let anyone else read them or loan them out until I've gone through my review process.

Ummmmm, I'm not really that weird, am I?

Wondering if there's a support group,
Maggie

6 comments:

Bragger said...

Here's MY strange habit: When I see a book review (or movie or whatever), I QUICKLY turn the page so none of the words can accidentally jump off the page into my eyeballs. Because I do not, do not, do not want to know what someone else thinks of a book.

Does that make us equally strange?

Curley said...

Have I ever shown you my stack of craft magazines? Or my husbands stacks (plural) of fishing and hunting magazines. Not weird. At least you read the books in your list.

Anna said...

sounds like a great way to to find new and interesting books to read, there are soooo many out there! With your love of the written word, I think this "habit" as you call it works perfect to feed your love :-)

Maggie said...

Bragger- I don't that's strange at all- makes complete sense to me actually!

Curley- I guess I'm not so weird after all!

Anna- thanks for the perspective that makes me feel good about my oddities! :)

Shan said...

Your "oddity" sounds like organization to me. I don't have this skill in any way shape or form. When I read a book review I want to remember I say to myself "...absorb this in the permanent file." Then of course it gets placed somewhere in that part of the brain that looks like it's been shot full of holes.
Your way seems much better.

Maggie said...

Shan- thanks for the compliments! Sometimes I think my ability to be organized goes a little over the edge! haha!