Pages

Friday, August 28, 2009

Drama with the BMV- part II (Damn good day!)

From the post title you might've guessed it wasn't a complete disaster at the BMV.

I went to the BMV and got some forms. Then I went to a local garage and a police officer met me there. The car got hoisted onto the lift and some numbers were taken off the motor and the transmission, as well as the VIN number. The officer signed all the forms. I took a picture of my car and printed it out.

Then I went back to the BMV where they had me sign an affidavit that the car is fixed and works. And it was done years ago and that the receipts were lost and that the mechanic is dead.

I now had an amended title.

Then I paid 2 years of excise tax and a plate fee. I produced a valid Civilization ID and my insurance card. I wrote a check.

And I have plates. Oh. My. Goddess. Finally. Whew. $139.05 and 2 visits with police officers and 4 trips to the BMV is all it took. What a fucking messy nightmare but it's done and over with.

Funny little aside to this tale: I had to have the police officer sign the form and when I went to do it the first time, the guy copied my info down wrong. He runs it through the police computer and nothing comes up. So he thinks I've stolen the car or plates or whatever and runs me through the third degree. He's a real bastard actually. I'm about to freak out because I have no idea what's going to happen. I thought I was going to be arrested for Grand Theft Auto (you can be for damn sure Trooper's phone would be ringing with me crying hysterically. Now, wouldn't that be a lovely way to kick off a relationship? Sheesh!) Come to find out, the police officer wrote down the numbers wrong! And he didn't apologize. What a prick.

And when I told Trooper about my visit with the Cop from Hell, he told me there were other ways to verify the car was mine that Bad Cop could've done. See why it's helpful to seriously be in like a cop? I just *crush* him! He's one of the good ones! (I'll let ya'll figure out a good one what...!)

But Cop from Hell's form wasn't valid because I needed the info from the motor so I had to get a whole new police officer to fill out a whole new form and she was very nice and kinda cool. So Ha!

So, the long and the short of it-- I have a legally plated car. Until April 2010. Now I need a drink. (Yeah I totally catch the irony there...)

Road ready,
Mags

4 comments:

Curley said...

Now my question is, "What happens in 2010? Is the amended title good forever, or do you have to go through all this again next year?"
Glad you are legal. Celebrate!

Maggie said...

Curley- this should fix it forever and ever amen. And I did celebrate with dinner out and it was YUMMY!

Anonymous said...

Glad it got straightened out! I'm going out to dinner tonite. A new restaurant opened here!

P

Duchess of Tea said...

Hello darling,
I am back and have missed you terribly!! I have a post on my blog that explains my lengthy absence but enough of that, I just wanted to stop by personally to thank you for the sweet birthday wish you left Cristina and to let you know that your kindness meant the world to us both. I am now off to read the posts that I have missed and to look around your gorgeous blog.
Love & Hugs
Duchess ♥♥♥