Pages

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Mac, Harry and me

Mac and I went to the State Capital City last week to see the new Harry Potter movie. At an IMAX theater. And 3D. It was completely amazing!

I know that Harry Potter came out in theaters in the middle of July sometimes but Mac and I really wanted to experience it in IMAX/ 3-D. I threatened him with death if he went to see it in a regular theater before we got there. I told him about the problems with the IMAX release so it was going to be later than regular and he would just have to tough it out. He said he would wait. And he did.

First, the movie was good. It's the 6th book/ movie in the series, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, which happened to be one of my favorite books. It's nice to see the novice actors have some chops after all these films and screen time- and it's nice to see them more grown up and much better actors. So that combined with it being one of my favorite novels in the series, it was just a good movie.

But to see it on an IMAX screen and to be able to see the entire opening sequence, which was shot in 3D, was just breath taking. I have never watched a feature length film in IMAX and I've never seen a 3D movie so this was a new experience for me. I've been to IMAX a few times to see the documentaries that are shot specifically in and for IMAX but never a real movie movie.

And it was cool. I was totally gobsmacked with this phenomena and can't believe all these years I've missed it. I was a complete and total dork, with my hand in front of me trying to catch the snow flakes and ducking as the Hogwarts Express raced toward me. Mac was embarrassed that I kept doing that, but he got over it. I was so impressed and super excited. Oh yeah, and Mac thought it was pretty freaking cool, too.

I liked the 3D glasses. They aren't the cheesy ones like in the 1950s-1960s, but over sized plastic ones that fit right over my regular specs so I could see EVERYTHING!

There were a few previews for other movies but there's going to be a new version of A Christmas Carol released in the fall, in computer digital animation but 3D. The preview was in 3D and all I can is... WOW! I decided then and there I won't go see it unless I can on the IMAX 3D screen. It will be totally worth it if the rest of the film slightly compares to the astounding-ness of the previews.

If you have a chance to see any feature film in an IMAX theater or in 3D, you should totally do it. We had a great time, and I always dig hanging out with my kid and even letting 'Arry Potter come along...

Muggle mania at IMAX,
Maggie

No comments: