Pages

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Book meme- what's better for me-me?

1) What author do you own the most books by?
For some reason I have a bunch of Maeve Binchy novels...

2) What book do you own the most copies of?
I usually don't keep duplicates of any novels (except when I was teaching) but for whatever reason I have 2 copies each of Bridges of Madison County and The Smoker Jumper

3) Did it bother you that both those questions ended with prepositions?
nope

5) What book have you read the most times in your life?
To Kill a Mockingbird

6) What was your favorite book when you were ten years old?
Harriet the Spy or Superfudge

7) What is the worst book you’ve read in the past year?
All that I Have by Castle Freeman Jr — I kept waiting for more but there was never anything to it

8 ) What is the best book you’ve read in the past year?
Hands down by far was Fool by Christopher Moore. If you read nothing else at all ever, read this.

9) If you could force everyone you tagged to read one book, what would it be?
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (I'm not tagging anyone, however)

11) What book would you most like to see made into a movie?
Most of the time movies from books I've read are disappointing, so I would say none

12) What book would you least like to see made into a movie?
see answer to #11

13) What is the most lowbrow book you’ve read as an adult?
Lowbrow? I would say anything that could get labeled as 'chick lit'.

14) What is the most difficult book you’ve ever read?

King Lear- I read it alone (not as part of a class, but just for enjoyment) and muddled through it; now I'm not sure why I ever found it so challenging.

15) Do you prefer the French or the Russians?
The Russians

16) Roth or Updike?
Neither, really, but if I had to choose, I would say Updike.

17) David Sedaris or Dave Eggers?
Sedaris (though really, I would choose Nick Hornby who is in that style but smarter, in my humble opinion)

18) Shakespeare, Milton, or Chaucer?
Shakespeare

19) Austen or Eliot?
Jane Austen

20) What is the biggest or most embarrassing gap in your reading?
Not reading as many classics as I feel I should've.

21) What is your favorite novel?
I wish I had some earth shattering answer for this but I would say To Kill a Mockingbird

22) Essay?
"Why We Crave Horror films" by Stephen King

23) Work of nonfiction?
There are several memoirs I love. Honeymoon with my Brother is probably a favorite, along with I Loved, I Lost, I Made Spaghetti

24) Who is your favorite writer?
I don't have a favorite because there are so many who I think are talented: Christopher Moore is probably near the top of my list of "favs" right now if you twist my arm to get a name out of me.

25) What is your desert island book?
I have no idea...................................Do I only get to bring one? Can't I be like Ginger was to clothes as Maggie would be to books?

26) What are you reading right now?
As usual I have several going at one time, but unusually I'm not liking many of them. But the list is: Dune Road, Long Lost, and Swimsuit. I do like Me, Katherine Hepburn's autobiography but it is taking me FOREVER to read.

27) What fictional character are you secretly in love with?
Atticus Kodiac or Ranger...

28 ) Who deserves to win the next Nobel Prize for Literature?
I don't usually read anything that would get that sort of award.

29) Describe your weirdest dream involving a writer, book, or literary character.
I dreamed that a bunch of characters came for dinner and it ended in a disaster, with all of them fighting and scheming so I had sex with Ranger in a half bath off the stair case... and we don't have a half bath off the staircase so...

30) What is the most obscure Shakespeare play you’ve seen?

The Comedy of Errors. The language and cadence was all Shakespeare, of course, but the director set it in the 1970s with a "Laugh In" feel.... weird...

31) Favorite Poem?
"Stop All the Clocks" by WH Auden

32) Favorite Short story?
Oh, I have too many of these to list just one — “The Cask of Amontillado” by Edgar Allan Poe, “The Yellow Wallpaper” by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, "The Story of an Hour" by Kate Chopin, “A Rose for Emily” by William Faulkner, "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson, "Little Things" by Raymond Carver-- to name a few

33) Who is the most overrated writer alive today?
Stephanie Meyer- vampire and human love. Team Edward -vs- Team Jacob- blah, blah, blah. We get it already! Don't get me wrong- I appreciate the series and love that it gets teens reading, but enough already!


*Note- I have NO idea why this turned italic at question 14 to the end. I could not get it to turn off, even when I went into HTML edit and deleted the italics code. Sorry for the weird font reading today!

No comments: