Pages

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

How could he NOT know?

A local school system where I subbed 100% (yes ALL) of my subbing hours last year had a teacher opening and I applied the day it was available, which was just barely a week before school started. I left my resume and a cover letter on the Principal's desk chair since he was out of the office and that's where the secretary told me to put it so he would be sure to see it.

I'll leave out the rest of the long details that go with it, and just say I didn't get the job. Here's how the phone call went to inform me of such- a week after I applied and 3 days before school started:

Principal: Hi, this is Mr. Principal from The School.
Me: Hi (or something like that)
Principal: I wanted to let you know the teaching position has already been filled. Gee, I didn't know you used to be an English teacher and actually had taught before. Sorry I missed that and didn't call you for an interview. But if you're interested I'll need someone to cover a maternity leave later in the year. How about I call you then to see if you're still interested...?
Me: blah, blah, blah

He didn't KNOW I taught before?!? I want to say that if he looked at my resume, right under my name and address, the first line says I was a TEACHER! If he read my cover letter, the second line says I was a TEACHER and is filled with all sorts of examples as to why I would be an asset to his school because of my TEACHING experience. GRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Is this the norm? People don't even read a resume? I was just flabbergasted and dumbstruck. Dang. I wasn't even worth reading, resume-wise. Is this why I'm unemployed? Because no one read resumes? Shit.

Bonk, bonk, bonk-- this is the sound of me beating my head against the wall...

Ready to give up,
Mags

9 comments:

Bragger said...

I'm convinced principals don't read ANYTHING. Emails, memos, resumes, etc. After I started working for my current idiot, about midway through the first semester, she heard someone call me "Dr." She said, "Dr.? What do you mean 'Dr.'?" Jeez, that's what that third degree ON MY RESUME meant. She admits to just deleting some people's emails rather than reading them.

Anonymous said...

Well, at least he knows now. Bozo.

Patti

Curley said...

OMG! No wonder the school system in this county is so bad. I'm sorry.

Anna said...

sorry Maggie that really sucks and I'm thinking its possible Mr. Principal didn't read it. Probably already had someone they wanted to hire in mind but had to go through the formalities of offering the position up, at least that is the experience I've heard of here in our school district.

(((hugs))) don't give up :-)

Beth Dunn said...

Don't give up! You'll get a position. xoxo

Maggie said...

Thank you everyone for your supportive comments! I hate this.

And The Principal hired The Superintendent's niece...

Hecate said...

Umm, can we say nepotism?

Maggie said...

Hecate- we sure can say it... and HATE it!

Maggie said...

Bragger- Amen sister- Amen... thank you.

And a fellow teacher at that school said "Not even God Himself would've gotten that job" over The Niece. So...