Pages

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Why I have Writer's Block

I'm sitting here staring at the blank screen trying to figure out what to type. It's way to early in the year for me to have writer's block. Or maybe it's just a carry over from last year?

My writer's block could be because I've been on vacation and haven't done much bust stick close to home. My Aunt and Uncle from Texas have been here since Tuesday, making the house over full with adults and personalities. I love them to death and love having them come visit. Daddy-O's house is small and is an "open concept" meaning the only doors are on the bathroom and his bedroom so if if anyone wanted to be alone, they had to leave or go in the bathroom. But the visit was good and it's always wonderful to see them. I did think my Aunt was going to freeze to death because she HATES the cold and the temperatures have hovered around 10 degrees here, with snow, for the last week.

I also attribute my writer's block to just not really doing anything with anyone but Mac, the family, Daddy-O, Curley, and XRayGirl. And none of these outings have been outrageous, just our normal stuff- shopping, watching movies, hanging around. I've not really watched the news or been out and about because it was cold. I've been to see movies but I haven't been reading or watching tv.

I can understand why I might have run out of things to say on my blog. I've run out of things to say in real life to Daddy-O and Mac. Mac and I rode in the car for 30 miles and never said a word to each other the whole time. Maybe there's too much together-ness happening right now, since we've all been in the house together for almost 3 weeks?

Oh, I could tell you I've done away with my movie blog. No one really read it too often so I've just decided to keep a list of movies I see on this blog, over in the side bar, and I'll be writing a review of some of the movies in a "gadget" found at the bottom of this blog- if you scroll down there now you can see what I'm talking about since I saw The Princess and the Frog yesterday. (And it was sweet!)

I haven't decided if I'm going to host a book blog or not. I did, however, write a year end recap of my 2009 reading habits. Now, I do know I have readers of that one, and I found the absolute most adorable PINK book template so part of me wants to keep the book blog just for those reasons, but I'm not sure. I also keep track of my books on a web site called GoodReads. It will allow me to write reviews, page number count, date them and adds the book cover art and everything I do on my personal book blog, and more. But can anyone read my reviews at Goodreads if they aren't a member? (And if you do have an account at Goodreads, I'm there listed as 'Maggieo') I should check that out while I'm deciding, but I'm not in a huge hurry to get that set up because I'm just not in the mood to read right now. But I digress...

I could also have writer's block on a personal level because I'm re-working my resume. Ick. That is the only word for it: ick. It's hard to do and takes lots of concentration and creativity- I don't want to lie, of course, but I want to make some of my skills sound worthwhile and picking and choosing the right words are a pain in the butt. I've been doing that for a couple days now, and I'm frustrated and it seems to have sapped all my energy for wanting to write creatively and humorously.

I've also been answering letters and emails in depth. Now, I LOVE getting personal emails and I love corresponding with folks but I seem to do it in big blocks and by the time I write 5 or 6 emails that are about 2000 words each, I'm not feeling blog style writing. OMG- is there such a thing as "too much" writing? That's can't be!

So that's why I have writer's block. My creativity is sapped. Or well not sapped, but blocked. I don't have any stories to tell right now, other than I could explain why I've wanted to smack Mac for the last 3 days- the grumpy pants, whining, teenager. Oh yeah, because he's a teenager so by definition I want to smack him. But I'll save that for something to blog about tomorrow! Unless something exciting happens between now and then.

I might even go to church in the morning; that would be a blog post too. That is, if the walls don't come tumbling down or a lightening bolt strikes me dead. Could happen...

Maggie

9 comments:

A said...

We so need to plan a get together! That's always worth at least one or two good blog posts.

Curley said...

Did you also give up the photo blog? I don't see the link for it on your blog page. Could also be the winter blahs contributing to the writer's block.

Wiley said...

Ugh, I hate resume writing. I'm pretty sure it's one of the worst things ever. You have my deepest condolences...

Evil Pixie said...

I have those moments too. Usually I go to CNN's homepage when that happens, and I almost always find something to write about on my blog.

Bragger said...

I have that problem often too. I think it's because I put blogging off until it's time to go to bed, and then I don't have time to do a real topic any justice. Once you get back in the swing of school, you'll have puh-lenty of fodder.

Maggie said...

Lilith- weather permitting- tomorrow! bowling? pedicures? coffee?

curley- yeah, I did give up the photo blog, too. it was just too much to keep up with and I was stressing over it. I decided I'll just post pictures here when I feel the need. Or on my traveling blog. I haven't decided yet since I haven't taken any worth posting for wahile!

wiley- thanks. i hate it, too.

Evil P- CNN depresses the hell outta me so I try to stay away. Last month I had about 7 posts that had to do with politics and I didn't post any of them!

Bragger- Oh god. School.... yuck!

A said...

Pedicure? You want me to let some stranger touch my feet! LOL

Maggie said...

Lilith- well, you can get a mani- while I get a pedi- if a stranger can touch your hands... and the pedi- at a place I go is wonderful. there are good foot spas and massage chairs and they also give a 10-15 minute foot massage after you soak them. It's heavenly! We can even sit beside each other!

A said...

I can handle a manicure. Actually I really need one. This dry/cold weather is hell on my hands!