Pages

Friday, September 11, 2009

Some people are just mean!

Yesterday was not my best day. At all. I hated work, my heart hurts, my depressed and sad and just a whole host of other things went wrong yesterday, in my little area of the world. This little incident was just part of the crap that hit me yesterday.

I have a Harvard t-shirt. I like to wear it. I think I've mentioned this before. To me it's no different than someone wearing a shirt that has a Fighting Illini logo or the Patriots logo- I don't assume that the person went to that school or plays for the NFL. It's just a damn t-shirt.

Yesterday a woman came in for ice cream, as wont to happen when you run an ice cream parlor. I was working. I was not in a good mood. I was not wanting to deal with humans; rather, I wanted to be in bed, watching sappy movies and feeling sorry for myself, but NO, I was working. With the public.

So this broad comes in and orders. I dip. I give her the cone. She asks the price. We have one register working and it was in use by another employee. Rather than wait to give her the price, I guessed. This state has wonky taxes and off the top of my head I thought the total was $2.42 and I told her. She gave me $2.50. When I rang it up, in reality it was $2.46. I apologized for my math error and said I "don't do math so late in the day" and laughed. She said she couldn't believe a Harvard student couldn't do math. I said in a light tone (and tried to NOT convey my irritation), "Oh well, I always say English majors don't do math." She told me she was an English major and then gave me a hard stare and asked me if I attended Harvard. I said nope and her response was, "Obviously not."

What nerve! I am not a stupid woman and I am sick and tired of people treating me as such.

I hate this job. I really really really hate this job.

Maggie

6 comments:

Curley said...

I'm sorry you had such a hard day and had to deal with "rude" and "stupid" people. I'm here whenever you need to vent.

Anna said...

what a horrible thing to say! obviously she was trying to prove she was better than you. Something she was trying to prove to HERSELF so don't take it personal. Still sucks and hurts...some people ARGH! (((hugs)))

Bragger said...

I don't know why some people in this world have to get their jollies by putting other people down. They suck!

Maggie said...

Curley- thanks for letting me vent- i called you and i dont even think i mentioned it since we covered so much other territory! but it made me feel better to talk to you obviously!

Anna- thanks!

bragger- i have no idea either. let's beat 'em all with sticks.

Duchess of Tea said...

Darling, have a lovely weekend.

Love, Hugs & Tea
Duchess ♥♥♥

Maggie said...

Thank you Duchess- i always love well wishes from you my dear!