- "Will ya hose me down with holy water, if I get to hot? Will you take me places I've never known?"- Meatloaf, "I'd do anything for love"
- "I'm a bitch, I'm a tease, I'm a goddess on my knees." - Meredith Brooks, "Bitch"
- "And in the midst of sailing ships we sink our lips into the ones we love, that have to say goodbye."- Train, "When I Look to the Sky"
- "She is frequently kind, and she’s suddenly cruel, she can do as she pleases, she’s nobody’s fool, but she can’t be convicted, she’s earned her degree"- Billy Joel, "She's Always a Woman"
- "To my heart he carries the key, Won’t you tell him please to put on some speed, Follow my lead, oh, how I need, Someone to watch over me."- Gershwin, Someone to watch over me
There is so much more to music than just the music. I love music and the performance part. I love in the song "I Don't wanna miss a thing" when Steven Tyler breathes on the lyric "I could stay lost in this moment forever", right on the word forever. It is so sexy.
Broadway show-tune lyrics get a category all their own. I love them separately but they compare differently because of the word choices. Broadway tunes string together stuff that could never make the mainstream but show tunes make me HAPPY!
One time a former Sam and I were split up. He went to drown his sorrows at our favorite bar. Well, the bartender called me at 2:23am and asked if I could please do something. (Yes, it is sad to know that the bartender at that Sam's favorite bar had my number since I had been called to get him so often). I asked what he had done now and she said he had played "Lady is a tramp" 13 times in a row on the jukebox. I dragged my tired ass out of bed, drove across town and picked him up. I didn't deserve it but I love the story. Every time he and I had split, he listened to a lot of Sinatra. That was his thing for me. (I was the only woman who drove him to Sinatra- that, my friends, is a damn compliment!)
There is a song called "Crash and Burn" by Sheryl Crowe. Every time I hear this song played, I cry. I sob. But I like it.
I am sure I will come up with more lyrics but right off the top of my head these are always reverberating around as my all time favorite lyrics. Do my lyric choices reflect my personality or some subliminal subconscious? Regardless, I just love music. What are your favorite lyrics?