Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Crummy movie scores

Okay while I'm throwing fits about crap this week, I want to complain about Rotten Tomatoes, a movie web site that is very popular and is sort of thought to be the "in the know" place to get movie reviews.

The thing I dislike the most is that they seem to hate everything that's popular. They gave low ratings to THE HELP- it wasn't a Rotten Tomato but the score was low. Seriously?!? If people like it then Rotten Tomatoes doesn't seem to favor it.

They seem very elitist. If it's an arty film, foreign, something no one's heard of, then gee Rotten Tomatoes will give it a GREAT review and recommendation. I hate that they just bash stuff that the every day, average Joe seems to like.

Mac has a friend who looks at Rotten Tomatoes before he goes to the movie theater. If a movie got a rotten tomato score then he refuses to see the movie. There have been times when Mac and a bunch of his friends head out to see something and end up seeing something different because of this kid. Arsehat.

I know how it works. I know it's a combo score of a bunch of critics, and there's also a people/ audience score but I hate that everyone seems to think this web site is the do all, be all, end all for movie ratings.

I'm to the point that if Rotten Tomatoes hates it, then I'm sure I'm going to love it.

Maggie

2 comments:

Curley said...

I have always felt that way about almost all movie critics. I just don't listen to them.

Jimmie Earl said...

Siskel and Ebert were the same way in their day. If they liked it, I was sure not to like it and if they panned it, I knew I would like it. Maybe it is the amount of money a studio pays the critics that says how much they like or dislike a film. Who knows?