Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Spending time with Mac CAN be fun... I'm as surprised as you are!

I can't remember the last time Mac and I actually spent any sort of quality time together that didn't involve screaming, yelling, tears, the police or a therapist until last night! Holy cow- he and I spent 5 whole hours together and never said a cross word and we even laughed! We joked! We did tricks! Okay, no tricks, but we did laugh, joke around, talk and just had a generally good time.

I had to get a haircut and he went along and we listened to music and chatted. We had Subway and talked more. We saw a movie- Dark Shadows with Johnny Depp- and both agreed it wasn't too bad and was fun, and then we had a nice drive home, talking and visiting and I dropped him off at a friend's house for the evening. It was a pleasant surprise.

I have missed him. it's weird I know. Who misses hanging out with their kids? He and I were always close and always o much alike and we did like some of the same things but we were different enough to keep it interesting. He's a smart kid and can be easy and fun to talk to. I just really miss connecting with him, and spending time with him in a fun good way.

As a single mom (or one who's been divorced for 16 years, since Mac was 3 years old) it was always he and i against the world. On so many occasions we did things together, just the two of us: going to movies, the zoo, concerts, shopping, bowling, road trips... he was always up for an outing or an adventure. Since the end of his junior year of high school, we haven't connected like that. I know that stuff happens in life, and kids grow up, get their own lives, make their own friends, walk to the beats of their own drummers, leaving their but I always thought Mac and I would be "tight" as the the kids say, but we haven't been at all for the last couple years, with this last year being a parental/ child nightmare.

So last night was like a big old flashback for me, to the good and fun times I've had with Mac. it was good. Wish I could have lots more of these but I'll take what I can get!

Mags

No comments: