Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A different sort of tradition

I went to a Seder last night. A friend of mine who's a Quaker, invited me to one at her church. A woman who's a member of her church is a Jew turned Christian and she hosted a Seder as a get to know other religious ceremonies and for more knowledge for Christians about what is now Passover.

In my quest to become Jewish, my friend asked me along because she thought I would think it would be interesting and it was.

We had a chance to sample the ceremonial foods served at a Seder and the presenter explained what they all meant. That was cool. I liked learning what it all means, the whys and whatnots behind it all.

The other thing that I thought was amazing and actually gave me goosebumps was the fact that last night was actually Passover. If we look at our calendars, it says it's today but the start of the Jewish Passover began at sundown last night, like most Jewish holidays. So last night, all over the world, in homes and at tables, all over the world, people were gathered together and shared the same story, the same foods, said the same prayers and sang the same songs. I had chills just thinking of that, of how powerful that is.

It was awe-inspiring to think that people of nations who believe the same thing went through the same ritual. It's not a simple, small thing, but it involves so many steps. I thought that was amazing and moving.

I'd love to have a chance to go to a Seder in someone's home and go through not only the ceremony but then stay for the family meals and celebration that comes after the ceremonial Seder traditions.

It was educational and fun, and powerful.

Maggie

No comments: