Pages

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Tiredly rambling

I was going to say that I don't remember teaching being this exhausting. But that would be a lie. What I remember is that teaching is exhausting the first couple of weeks, but I remember being able to go back to my own house and collapsing each night. I didn't have to entertain a boyfriend. Maybe I should say that I don't remember relationships being this exhausting?

No, really, I'm trying to find a way to juggle it all.

I think teaching at Alcatraz is more stressful, at times, than a regular high school, because of all the rules the kids have to follow and I feel I'm on hyper vigilant mode making sure everything is followed. I've also amped up my energy level so I run on super enthusiastic mode for the entire day because these kids need some positive energy their way. The kids are also prone to fighting, screaming, and creating a hostile, volatile situation at the drop of a hat- and since the kids live with each other they know how to push each other's buttons to make them go nuts- especially the girls. So things can go from hum-drum to critical mass in about 4 seconds, so I'm all the time tense, waiting to making sure nothing bad happens on my watch.

I really like my kids and my classes. I do. I also realize I'm investing lots of time and energy into something that's only temporary but I do LIKE this job and it's just part of my weird personality.

I'm planning on working in my classroom something weekend and then I think as far as weekends go, I should be do with that. I think.

Oh, and I got that second job!!! Every third weekend I'm working as an evening receptionist on Friday and Saturday nights. Not bad money and pretty easy, for the most part. I'll even have time to grade or read or surf the 'net. I was told by the woman who hired me that it's only crazy if a kid runs away. All I can say is PLEASE DO NOT LET THAT HAPPEN ON MY WEEKEND! I had a night of training last night and will have two more nights of that next weekend.

So here it is on a Saturday. It's dark and rainy and dreary outside. I'm thinking of not moving from this seat unless it's to lay down and shape into a form of a nap. ITSam has Jack this weekend and I'm thinking how great it would be for them to just have "alone" time today. We can all gather for supper or play games or something later on, right? And I can be a slug for a few hours, doing nothing but catching up on blogs, reading, and napping.

Or I might get a wild hair and just decide to take myself to a movie, all alone, and see eat, pray, love. Or work at school. Or all of the above.

I've never been so happy for a weekend in all my life.

Maggie

2 comments:

Amy said...

Remember though that the job may be temporary but the influence you have, the things you teach, may have long lasting effects in these kid's lives! It sounds like you already know that with all the energy you are investing. We need more teachers like you in our schools!

Bragger said...

I know what you mean, especially about the alone time. I was supposed to do a bike ride with Katydid and Rozmo today, but it rained. And rained. Buckets and buckets. Until past the time when it would have been a good time to ride, then the sun came out. I was so hoping the sun would allow Hubby to go play golf.....