Pages

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Things you never think you'd hear together...

I have a guided study hall that I oversee one period a day. I have 4 kids assigned to me daily, and then teachers can send kids from their classrooms, in who are in need of help.

The setting: 2 kids have on head phones and are playing a computer game. They are insignificant to this story. Then I have one girl working on homework at a table. I have one boy- the smelly boy- sitting at another table, also doing homework. I'm sitting at my desk.

Girl says to me: [randomly] my new nephew is so cute.
me: Ah, that's nice. How old?
Girl: 6 weeks.
me: I bet his parents think he's a doll.
Girl: Well, my sister's (mother of the baby) boyfriend broke up with her while she was in labor.
Me [surprised]: Wow. Really? That's rough. What a jerk!
Girl: Yeah, but now he's trying to make up with her and get her to forgive him and he even asked her to the Prom.
Me [double take]: Uh, the Prom?
Girl: Yeah. My sister doesn't know what to do.
Me: Uhhhhhhhh...
Girl: He's attached to the baby, so she might go with him. And she found a pretty dress in 17! (it's a teen magazine)
Me: Well, I'm sure he wants to be near his little boy.
Girl: Oh, it's not his kid!
Me: Uhhhhhhhhhhh, then who's the dad?
Smelly Boy from across the room: my brother...

insert: "bum bum bum" here.......

I can't decide what bothers me more: who the father is, who the father isn't, she got dumped during child birth, or that going to Prom is a way to make up from being dumped during childbirth........................

Ah, kids today,
Maggie

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are just bitter and hatin on true love.

Maggie said...

S Sage- that's it. I'm so jaded about love... oooo, or wait! maybe I'm just jealous!

Bragger said...

Oh, you could SO move to our county. This isn't even freakin' UNCOMMON in our world. I'm glad to share the dysfunction with another state...

Shan said...

Blank stare....

This is just the kind of story that makes me do my usual joke/non-joke "That's it. We're home schooling."

That time it was more in the non-joke way. ;}

Anonymous said...

oh my

Maggie said...

Bragger- glad we can share, and nice to know I'll feel at home teaching there... ick.

Shan- while I'm not a proponent of home schooling, I can honestly say KEEP THEM HOME!!!!!

Tada- yeah.

Jimmie Earl said...

I know all your other readers can't believe this really happened...but I can. I also have these students and heard approximately the same story. I know the girl in question has several siblings and their mom has never been married. I wonder if she went to prom. I know she went into labor in HS during Driver's Training for her first one!
JE