Pages

Monday, June 29, 2009

Meals with Maggie- Pasta Salad with chicken

I love pasta salad and everybody makes it their own way. This is what I'm doing right now, making my yummy summer salad. Here's my recipe:
  • box of tri-colored pasta (I use this because I like the color but you can use any type of pasta you want)
  • cucumber (I use 1)
  • tomatoes (I use a pint of grape tomatoes)
  • green pepper (I use 1)
  • an orange or a yellow pepper (I use 1)
  • black olives, sliced (I use one small can, pre-sliced)
  • bottle of Italian Dressing (I like Kraft)
  • Optional items: onion, cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese
  • chicken (canned or pieces that have been cooked thoroughly and taken off the bone)
Follow the directions on the pasta box: boil, drain and cool. Peel cucumber and chop. Chop peppers and tomatoes. Add the chopped veggies to the pasta. Drain a can of sliced black olives and add to pasta and veggie mixture. Today I used 2 cans of chicken, drained, and added to the mix. Toss with entire bottle of dressing. Chill for a few hours before serving, occasionally stirring while it's chilling.

I always garnish with fresh grated Parmesan cheese before I serve it. Use as many or as few veggies as you desire.

Some people like onions in it and I don't. I will chop some onions and cover with some of the dressing and store in a separate container so anyone can spoon it into the salad.

Obviously, you can add more (or less) veggies and the cheddar cheese if you want. I like it to be colorful so if I use red tomatoes I use orange and green peppers, or if I use yellow tomatoes I use orange and red peppers. Occasionally I get crazy and add squash.

So there you have it- a nice cool recipe to help beat the summer heat. Let me know how you make it- I love to know alternatives!

And it won't catch the house on fire. And I couldn't think of anything else to write about today.

Bon Appetit,
Maggie

3 comments:

Curley said...

Yum! Sounds really good. You'll have to bring me a small bowl cause no one but me in this crazy place of mine will eat pasta salads.

Anna said...

sounds delicious, post a pic :-)

Maggie said...

Curley- Okay, either I will or Daddy-O will!

Ty-Anna: I never thought of a pic! Damn! Okay, I'll see how much is left! Food makes for great pictures and I don't know why I never think of shooting what I eat! :)