Pages

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Not going makes me happy

In my old age I'm becoming more discriminating in what I read and in what I watch. I don't want to waste my time doing either if it's not something I'm not going to enjoy. I don't mean my books and movies all have to be "real" or full of happy endings but I need to enjoy the process.

So that being said I'm going to admit that I'm not going to see Captain America, and I'm glad about that. While ITSam and I haven't officially gotten back together, we have been hanging out and talking and stuff. He invited me to go see this movie with him. I hemmed and hawed around and finally said okay. We were supposed to go tomorrow.

I really had no desire to see it; I'm not a huge fan of comic books becomes a movie movies (yes, there are exceptions to this rule, such as The Dark Knight) so I wasn't excited about Captain America. Also, I like to go see movies where I know someone in the cast, especially a main character, and I had no idea who was playing the title role. I know that's lame, but it's true (there are exceptions to this rule; I do see movies with a no name cast, like the first Harry Potter movie...).

Maybe what it comes down to is that it held NO appeal for me. I mean, who IS Captain America? Why is he even a hero? Does he have some cool special power? How awesome can be be, really? I don't even remember him being a part of Super Friends!

So today Sam called and dropped a few million hints that his super geeky buddy was practically begging him to go see it. He called to see if I cared if Geeky buddy came along tomorrow. I saw my out and I went for it. I suggested a "guy's night" and said he and his bud should go without me. He said he felt bad that he asked me and didn't feel right about not keeping his word.

I finally came clean and said he should go because I just didn't want to see it. He was thrilled and jumped up and down and whooped and hollered. Glad it was so easy to make him so happy!

And I did my own little happy dance that I don't have to go suffer through it myself!

I'm not sure that honesty is always the best policy but it sure came in handy here! And now I have my entire Sunday free to do whatever I want... like laundry.

Mags

1 comment:

Curley said...

Not to mention that it shows him that you both can go out with your friends and don't have to spend all your free time together. Sounds all good to me.