Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Hotter than....

I was going to say "hotter than hell" but after this Midwest heat, I'm beginning to think Hell more than a tad cooler.

It's hot. Miserable hot. It's been high in the upper 90s (and I'll swear it was over 100 the last two afternoons) and the humidity it matching those temps, number for number. It feels impossible to be cool.

There are places in Northern Civilization that have opened "Cooling Centers" for people to go to who don't have air conditioning. They have healthy snacks and lots of ice water and an air conditioned place for people to stay for the day. They've been giving out fans and air conditioners. It's really miserable. Pets and people dying... as well as vegetation. Ick.

I've been teaching a 2 hour photography workshop from 7:30-9:30am every morning this week. It's geared toward the 8-12 year old set. Here's how hot it is: yesterday, after an hour in the shady grasses of the morning, all the workshop attendees (who are 8-11 years old) begged to go to anywhere air conditioned. Kids wanting out of the heat. Yeah, that's hot......

I don't think my hair ever dried yesterday, it was so hot.

It's so much easier in the winter than the summer; I can add clothes and blankets until I'm warm. In the summer, I can't get cool enough and take enough clothing off and still be comfortable AND decent!

There was a flash thundershower storm around 8am on Monday morning. It was so hot that as the rain hit the pavement, it steamed. It was like the earth became a boiling kettle.

I actually started my car with the air on and let it run for 5 minutes while I waited in the house for it to cool, just like running the heater in the winter...

Hotter than Hell for sure. No doubt.

And I love the new hair cut with my bare, naked neck... but the humidity makes the Hair... interesting. And in this heat it doesn't matter how much I straighten it or how much product I use, it's possess by the humidity ghost.

And to think next week, the weatherman had the nerve to say a heat wave was moving in and we could see several days of triple digits.

I'm melting.......................

Maggie

2 comments:

Bragger said...

I know exactly what you mean. If I want to ride my bike, the only decent time is 7:00 AM. When am I supposed to drink my COFFEE????? Sending cooling thoughts your way.... please send them back when you're through with them.

Wiley said...

Ugh. I am no fan of this heat + humidity mix, either. I spent about 20 minutes outside today jumpstarting a friend's car and when I came back in I was soaked. And let's face it, jumping a car is not exactly labour intensive work...
I can't wait for it to become cooler again.