Pages

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Review of The Adjustment Bureau

Did anyone see this movie?

I remember seeing the trailers for it, months ago, when it was debuting in the theaters. I remember thinking it looked very similar to the Bourne movies. I thought it had that zipping around, looking action, chase sort of thing. I didn't really read any reviews; I just remember it had Matt Damon and Emily Blunt, both of whom I like.

Well, I watched this movie a couple weeks ago and I was completely off-base at what I thought this was about. Was anyone else totally shocked? I sat there with my mouth open the whole time, with a "really?!?" thought in my head. I just was totally floored because it was completely NOT what I thought. It was so completely NOT what I thought and it went against the grain, the mold, that I just could grasp what I was seeing.

In the end, though, I was pleasantly surprised. I really liked it. But it still wasn't what I was thinking it would be. I kept waiting for Russians to shoot at him or the American Government to disavow him.

Now if you haven't watched this movie, you should totally check it out. Damon plays a guy who's really young and running for some federal government office but blows it. He meets this wild girl (played by Blunt) by chance and through this one encounter, the CONNECT. Then he doesn't see her for MONTHS, and then they have another chance encounter and again, 3 years goes by and they don't see each other.

But he wants it to happen even though fate seems to be keeping them apart. Until he realizes it's not fate, but a Bureau.... that might be run by God.

I'm not saying anything else, but there is Damon's character running from a G-Squad (no "g"oon but "G"od) with a girl and... well, trust me on this, it's cool. A bit sci-fi and a lot fantasy and you really need to NOT think Bourne identity because that's so NOT even a close assumption.

Suspend your belief in.... well, everything.

This was fun and good and a feel good movie and I'm not afraid to say I liked The Adjustment Bureau.

And you all probably know this already about this movie...

But it was still good,

Maggie

2 comments:

Curley said...

That does sound good and since I haven't seen any of the Bourne movies, I won't have any preconceived notions.

Shan said...

I watched it a couple weeks ago and had the same exact surprise and enjoyment!!! I REALLY liked it!! :)