Pages

Friday, May 22, 2009

I pity the FOOL who doesn't read this novel!

Out of the 49 books I've read this year, Fool by Christopher Moore is by far the best piece of fiction I've laid my hands on. As a matter of fact, it might be the best book I've read in a few years.

As you know, I have a book blog, Turn the Page, where I sort of review every book I read. And I loved Fool so very much that I've going to post my review here as well.

I. AM. NOT.KIDDING. If you only read one book this year, read this. If you are a person who only reads when held a gun point, under duress, or when riding on a plane, read this ONE!

Without further ado, here's my review of Fool, by Christopher Moore:
__________________________________


Oh. My. Goddess. Christopher Moore has done it again. This is probably the best Moore book ever- Fool. the man riffs Shakespeare's King Lear. I mean it- he wrote King Lear as a comedy, as an atrocity, as a sexed up tale. Not kidding- the best book I've read this year. Moore is a god with words- he REWROTE Shakespeare- he's got balls for sure.

The first page reads as follows:

"This is a bawdy tale. Herein you will find gratuitous shagging, murder, spanking, maiming, treason, and heretofore unexplored heights of vulgarity and profanity, as well as non-traditional grammar, spit infinitives, and the odd wank. If that sort of thing bothers you, then gentle reader pass by, for we only endeavor to entertain, not to offend. That said, if that’s the sort of thing you think you might enjoy, then you have happened onto the perfect story!"

And he's not lying- all of those things are there. As he's fond of saying- total and utter heinous fuckery most foul.

For those of you not in the know of the story of King Lear, it goes Lear killed his brother and father so he could be King. Then he kills his wives. His daughters become treacherous, he mistakenly divides his land and gives up his throne thinking his off spring will take care of him. He's wrong and they get all pissey with each other. There's eye gouging and poison and screwing of relatives. This all happens in Moore's version as well as Shakespeare's!

But I have to say a huge kudos to Moore. If it weren't so bawdy and raunchy it would be the perfect text to teach Shakespeare to people, especially high school students. But I think all the snogging and fucking, and cum jokes, making fun of gays, monkeys, twats, talk of boobs and codpieces, and wenches... well all that might make is banned from school reading lists. Moore's tawdry tale is told from the perspective of King Lear's Fool, the jester of the Court.

I love his language and his imagery, and just his entire story telling style. Damn that the time line is befuddled, the modern language and the skewered iambic pentameter and the cockney accent and the "fucking French" plus the British jargon are all hurdled together into one huge mish-mash. This is a great read, it's hysterical. It's smart and witty and certainly most heinous and foul.

This will get a second reading out of me at some point this summer, because I know there are more grand jokes that I just missed on my first read.

LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!! I want more Moore! If you read absolutely NOTHING else this year at all- read this one!!!!!!!!!!


___________________

Other books by Christopher Moore that I've read this year, which are worth the read since Moore is one of the greatest author's to ever scribe:
The Stupidest Angel
The Island of the Sequined Love Nun
Bloodsucking Fiends

Always and forever a Bibliophile,
Mags

No comments: