Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Why do we 'snap'?

The day starts out normal and then something small happens and all hell breaks loose. Why does this small thing send us over the edge?

I missed school yesterday and today was nuts. I had students all day long needing something from me other than library books: when is art club, what are we doing at art club, why can't we have books over spring break, where was I yesterday, will the library be open over spring break, is the crocheting group going to meet this week... then the can I talk to you, can I have a magazine, will you cover a class for a meeting... EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!!!!!!!!!

I was calm and cool and collected with the kids all day even though I wasn't feeling 100% normal yet. It's not their fault they're so needy today and that I wasn't running long on patience.

Then I got home and snapped. A clothing company sent my dead mother of 4.5 years a catalog and we're requested to be off their mailing list many, many, MANY times. This was nuts and I "lost" it, I guess we could say. I found their 800 number and called and gave hell until someone got her off the list. The operator on the phone didn't like me any more than I liked her or her company or her crummy attitude. (I want to say I didn't chew at first. I was nice and she was snotty so then gloves were off.)

Seriously, I had a good day. It was busy but not a bad day at all. I have no idea what made me pop but I did.

Another friend of mine had the same thing today, too. He's looking for a new job and everything was going along swimmingly for him and suddenly he "snapped" this afternoon when a prospective employer called him and wanted to know why they couldn't reach any of his references and wanted him to call all his references and have them call the potential employer. He was at his current job and it was awkward. Then he learned than his insurance payment was screwed up and he snapped. Not at me, but just snapped yelling and growling in frustration.

I see this happen with Mac; he's happy and content one minute and then next he;s biting the heads off live chickens. I see it in my students all the time.

I just wonder what causes us to go over the edge over something small and insignificant yet we can be pelted with lots of BIG things in the course of a day and never lose our cools. I don't know, either.

But snap we do and snap we will...

But we won't be getting any more of those stupid catalogs.

Mags

3 comments:

Mellodee said...

It's that old "last straw" thing. You handle things, all the frustrations, problems, irritations, etc.,all day long, and its fine... till suddenly you just can't take one more thing and POW the last straw breaks the camel's back! It happens to us all from time to time. Its never pleasant, but it usually goes away fairly quickly and we go back to our normal coping selves! As long as we don't do bodily injury to anyone during the explosion, the rest is okay!

Anonymous said...

Hi Maggie,

it's been a long time but it is great to see you writing and blogging still...

Your friend,

Jesse

Maggie said...

Mellodee- you said it! It disappears as fast as it shows, for me anyway. Dang straw! Dang camel!

Jesse- nice to hear from you again- thanks for the comment!