Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

Bad to worse

Yesterday I wrote that my entire library program was probably gone (deleted) and that my students were the one's who deleted the whole thing, either on accident or on purpose.

Would you believe that it went from bad to worse yesterday afternoon?

When I got to work on Thursday morning, the library program was still deleted. I was told that "they were working on it" but it didn't look good. They hadn't found the software yet anywhere on a server or the network. They said the entire backup file was even gone. THE BACKUP FILE WAS GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, then. Well... So...

I spent the day doing paperwork. I repaired a pile of books. I cleaned the cupboards. I straightened shelves. I did filing.

I was in the middle of making a list of new books to order and I clicked on an author's website and sudden my computer went nuts. Our virus program lit up like a Christmas tree, blinking red, that I had a virus. I got a bubble that there was a virus. All my programs shut down and weird icons popped up on the screen. Then a window opened that looked like everything was being deleted. I called 4 IT guys and the forth one told me shut my computer off and to click nothing. I did.

Finally a different- the newest and most inexperienced IT guy came to the library and looked at my system and confirmed I had a virus. Well duh. And he said he would have to go back and do some checking to see if he could figure it out.

As of 5pm yesterday, the new IT dude couldn't find my computer even on the network's list. Oh gee, nice. And the computer dude with experience is at home sick. And the new guy is really rude, I just want to add, as a by the way.

So I get a call today and they manage to find my computer, and get rid of the virus; the experienced IT guy was back today. It looks like the author website was contaminated and the virus was not linked to the kids destroying the library software, which, there was no word on yet. Gee, that's great.

(when ITSam was there, he had given me unlimited rights on our network with no filters. I wonder if they figured that out since they had to fix me?)

I'm not so much a fan of technology right now.

I'm not worrying about this crap until Monday because what can I even do today, right?

Mags

1 comment:

Curley said...

I'm sorry you have such problems with your computer at work. I hope they will be able to fix everything so that you don't have all that extra work.