Pages

Sunday, October 10, 2010

A battle, some Indians, a big crowd, and the re-enactment

OMG it was so hot yesterday. And it was the day of the historical re-enactment that I love to go to. I've never been when it's 85 degrees. It's pretty miserable in that weather. It was dusty and dry and just plain awful. And everyone in the state must've decided to go because it was packed with people, wall-to-wall everywhere. There wasn't time to stop and chat with the re-enactors or browse or just mill about. There were lines everywhere. It wasn't as laid back as usual.

Now all the whining and complaining aside, the company was great! Curley, Princess and I had a good time. We ate out way from one end to the other (root beer, lemonade, buttered ears of corn cooks in husks, pork chops, Indian fry bread, sugar corn). We also "window" shopped at every merchant tent, and got some cute earrings. We stopped and stared at the Indians who were elaborately painted and skimpily clothed. One wrong move and private body parts were going to be exposed.The battle was exciting as always, with canon fire, horses galloping, Indians screaming their war cries, and the bagpipes playing through it all.


Other than being hot, it was a great day. Princess had never been to anything like this before so it was so much fun to watch her ooh and ahh over everything- even though she's 17 years old, she gets excited over stuff like this- uh, no wonder we get along since I'm 39 and get excited over stuff like this! And Curley is wonderful as always and she and I went last year so we continued our tradition again.

Though next year we're not sitting near the canons.


Maggie

10 comments:

Gulo said...

Jealous.

Maggie said...

Gulo- if we start saving now and pool our resources, I think you should come here on a mini-vacation over this weekend next fall!!!!

D-nice said...

I so miss these events! Does our old group still do turkey noodle soup?

Annesphamily said...

We are getting rain so 85 degree heat sounds wonderful. I live in Colorado and the weather changes quickly here. Anne

Maggie said...

DNice- they sure do and they were out in full force yesterday! If you and Chef move back this way, you should come along, too!

Annesphamily- I am not a fan of heat at all, ever. I've got friends who said I should live in Colorado because the weather would be my style.

Curley said...

I had so much fun, except for the dust and heat. And the cannons. Of course if we had sat as far away from them as possible, we would have been in the sun. No Way!

Maggie said...

Curley- next year I say we don outfits and be the girls who bring water to the soldiers on the battlefield. heehee!

Bragger said...

We must be having your weather and you having ours. Well, that's not quite true. It was in the 80's here today too, but that feels like RELIEF to us! :) What a fun day. Have a good week!

Wiley said...

Sounds awesome! And I'm glad Princess really enjoyed herself - long may it continue.

Maggie said...

Bragger- give me my weather back!!! I'm tired of the heat.

Wiley- it was awesome! you should road trip here for it next year!!! And Princess and i seem to be getting along marvelously. (so far so good... I hate to say it out loud that it might jinx)