Pages

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Things we do for cash

I was thinking about all the things I've done for money. What prompted this thought was I got out of bed this morning at 7:45am. I work in education and this is Christmas vacation. Fellow teachers are probably wondering what in the heck is wrong with me and those of you not in education are probably wondering what the heck is wrong with me. Well... money.

I got out of bed to get ready to come to work at the school library for 2 hours. Before school was out for Christmas break, I had students begging me to let them check out books. Since so many of our kids don't come back after break (they either get sent home or to another facility) I collected ALL the books in an effort to cut back on losing materials. But I do have several readers who were begging me for books. So I VOLUNTEERED to open the school library this morning so kids on campus could come check stuff out. Now, I don't get paid in cash for doing this, but my boss is nice enough to see this was nice and offered me comp. time for each hour I spend here.

But the reason this seems like such a big deal is that I drove another 15 hour transport yesterday. I left at 9:30am and got back at 12:30am. Yes, 15 hours in a minivan with 5 teenagers, jacked up on sugar and caffeine and one who hadn't had her meds for 5 days. OMG!

So, while it doesn't seem like such a big deal to get up at 7:45 am to work at the library for 2 hours, it does on the heels of yesterday's drive. And, here I sit and not a soul has come in. Oh, I sent email reminders, one the day I planned it, a week ago. And again yesterday morning. I even asked them to RSVP. Guess I'll get comp. time for sitting here.

And since we went on Christmas break, I have worked a LOT of hours. The last day of school was Dec. 17. I went shopping on the 18th. I was deathly sick on 19-21. I worked on 22nd, 23rd, and the 24th. I was off on Christmas day and then I worked again on the 26th, 27th and then today, in the morning. I'm really NOT complaining nor whining. I did this to myself. I wanted the money. But as I sit here tired and aching and really wishing I was still at home in my nice warm new flannel jammies, I'm wishing I would've taken more time off to enjoy my holiday break.

There are 5.5 days left and I am not working any of them. I'm going to say no if anyone calls me to drive or answer the phones as the part time receptionist. I'm going to just chill. New Year Eve I actually have plans, a real date. I'm meeting my Photographer boss/ friend for dinner tomorrow night, and Curly and I are hanging out on Friday. Lilith and I are going to see each other at some point as well, but otherwise I am just chilling and doing some fun stuff with friends, obviously.

I would love to a take a "get away from it all" vacation. Maybe I should stash all my money and take a mini vacation... bwahahahahahahaha!!! It's a nice idea.

Being a bum for the rest of the day,
Mags

4 comments:

Bragger said...

I know what you mean about those opportunities for extra cash. It's hard to turn them down, and then we kick ourselves in the butt when we'd rather be doing other things. Hubby is going back to work for Pepsi for 6 weeks. We'll see how long before he's regretting that decision.

Enjoy what's left of your break. It will be over all too soon.

Mwah!

Curley said...

I can't wait.

Anna said...

phew! that's a busy working vacation. Enjoy your 5.5 days and Happy New Year glad you're no longer ill. :-)

Mellodee said...

Sometimes just a stay at home break is actually more restful than an away vacation. Whenever I go on "vacation" I come back more worn out than when I left!! The trick is actually not doing anything while you're on the break!