Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

Day 13- music

Day 13 is supposed to be about music that has gotten me through really tough times. Interesting because...

I don't feel like music has gotten me through tough times; I feel like my friends and family do that. When things go wrong in life I tend to either verbally spit it out to friends and family members, and my blog family, (Uhhhh- did that sound totally cheesy?) or I keep to myself and stew, fret and sleep.

Music, however, can sooth a mood. It certainly doesn't "get me through" but it can help offer relaxation. Or sometimes I get totally crazy and play "music that makes me feel better" or "music to think by."

Music that will relax me:
  • Classical with "Cannon in D" being my favorite piece but I listen to others, including Vivaldi, "Nocturne in G Minor", " Etude in C Minor, Op10, No. 12", "Piano Concerto #12", "Rhapsody in Blue", "Fur Elise", "Moonlight Sonata", "Butterfly Etude", "Minute Waltz", etc...
  • Opera. This is a new passion but I'm quickly becoming a fan. I'm a fan of Italian operas especially and I love "La boheme"!
  • Barry Manilow, Babs (that's Barbara Streisand for those not in the know) and big band/ swing music.
  • Michael Buble
I think the list of music that relaxes me makes me sound like a huge dork.

Music that helps me think:
  • I can't seem to name one artist. it's music that can play and I don't think about it. Maybe music I turn on and don't really "listen" too? It's the kind of music that can make background noise but won't distract me. And sometimes that varies, depending on the mood. Sometimes it's just anything on the radio. Other times it's my ipod. I can say that MOST of the time, but not all, but most, the Beatles fall right here. I can't explain it-sorry.
Finally, music that makes me feel better... well, disclaimer here. This is music that I consider my standby stuff. It's the stuff I go back to again and again, songs where I know all the words, songs that give me good memories... usually these are songs rather than artists but there are few groups/ people who are my go-to..
  • Billy Joel
  • Bon Jovi
  • Michael Buble
  • Train
  • Lenny Kravitz
  • Avril Lavigne's "Let Go" album
  • Madonna (Like A Prayer or before, not the newer, weirder stuff. I like my Madonna in the 80s, early 90s, and slutty, without the stupid British accent, all "Like a Virgin"-esque)
  • Green Day
  • Jewel
  • "Purple Rain" by Prince. The song, not the whole album. (I think there's a whole post in this song alone... *ahem*)
  • 80s music
  • John Mellencamp (not his new crap, but the era of Lonesome Jubilee or older)
  • Anything I can sing along with, in a loud bawdy voice
  • Show tunes and soundtracks (Footloose, Mamma Mia, Chicago, Walk the Line)
Music that gets me through... with a little help from my friends. Hey, isn't that a song?

Mags

1 comment:

Bragger said...

Billy Joel - I knew I liked you for a reason. He's my all-time favorite.