Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I feel like pot roast tonight

One thing we all like is pot roast. And I can take about 15 minutes to put this together in a crock pot and it seems that I slaved all day long, when in reality I wasn't even home, but dinner is still served.

4 pounds of roast
1 medium onion- I don't like to eat onion but I like the flavor in this dish so I cut it in big chunks and stick it in a cheese cloth bag and throw it in
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 packet of French onion soup mix, dry
1 bottle of Merlot- I usually use a cheap bottle but one with a cork
2 1/2 cups water
5 beef bullion cubes
2 stalks of celery, chopped
6 new potatoes, chunked
4 Tablespoons of sea salt
1 pinch of fresh black pepper
2 bay leaves
sometimes carrots- Mac isn't a fan so it depends...

I throw all of this in the crock pot and set it on low and let it all just cook together all day long. I make some changes occasionally. Sometimes I don't mince the garlic but use a knife and shove the pieces of garlic into the roast. Sometimes I don't even have garlic because of where I live so I use garlic salt and coat the roast with it, thus omitting the 4 tablespoons of sea salt at the end... Sometimes I leave out the potatoes, celery, and carrots and just do the meat this way- when I do that, I don't change anything to the recipe, I just omit those three items. Sometimes I omit the onion but used dried minced onion, about 3 tablespoons.

3 comments:

Bragger said...

I love my crock pot, but the last two I've had tended to burn things on one side. I'm afraid to use it for daylong cooking, and if I can't do that, what good is it?

Fifi Flowers said...

That sounds good... I'm doing a pot of spicy Italian sauce and spaghetti... adding your recipe to my bookmarks!

Wiley said...

Yuuuuum!! Sooo hungry...
But time for a stupid foreigner question: you sometimes don't have garlic because of where you live?? What the? I didn't think it was seasonal (or at least seasonally available)...