Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Taking baby steps to a career change?

I was sitting at lunch today with a table of staff. Everyone was within a year or two of my age accept one woman, who was 51 years old.

They all have toddlers; the 51 year old has grand kids she sees every singe day and they're ages 3 and 5 years. Anyway, all of them talked about Dora an explorer who speaks Spanish and has a talking backpack???? This is a kid's show. And Barney is still on, which I was surprised about. And something about wiggling, or wiggles, or the wigglers. And Backyardians. And something called Yo Gabba Gabba... what the heck? I've never heard of most of these, though Dora sounds sorta familiar.

We're all the same age but my kid about is about to turn 19 years old and the rest of them are all dealing with toddlers, potty training, and picking nursery schools and making sure car seats are up to spec. I'm just thrilled if my kid comes home at night alive or that I don't find a bag of weed in his pants pocket when I do his laundry.

I wonder if I would do better as a parent as an older person than I obviously did with Mac since I gave birth to him when I was 21 years old and was a single mom for 16 years.

The other day I was stopped because of a train beside a day care center. The kids were outside with three adults playing follow the leader. they also were playing with a colorful ribbon and walking in a nice line while they all played. Everyone looked like they were having fun, even the adults. The kids were sweet-looking. Everyone was in jeans and summer clothes. The kids were about 4 years old. They were cute.

I don't want to have a baby or a toddler. I think I just want to work in a pre-school.

Maybe it's time for a career change?

Mags

2 comments:

Curley said...

Remember, yes they are very cute when they are all doing what you want. Just remember what they are like when they don't feel good. Whining, crying, throwing up or have diarrhea and can't make it to the bathroom. Take that times 15 or so kids.

Bragger said...

No, no, no! Not little people! Just remember...sarcasm is wasted on pre-schoolers. I'm just sayin'...