Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

What's new in the world of art?

After Christmas break we're back at school and I'm ready to get the Art Club going and I know the kids are because they ask me every day "when's art club?" I've sort of put them off because I've been trying to get a meeting with my principal to see how much money I have left in my budget. I finally said 'screw it' and planned a bunch of stuff and "cc-ed" him on the email and figure if there's no money to spend, he'll let me know. Right?

In this day and age where art programs are cut (ours was hence an ART CLUB) and music is cut and hell, at a school in Ohio lunch was cut, I'm not complaining but it would be nice to know if I have any money or if I need to be... more creative. I know we have a grant but it requires matching funds. I know we have a second grant that can be the 1st grants matching funds but I've yet to see any of these numbers. I just keep on spending. Guess he'll stop me if I blow it?

So the art club agenda:
  • Duct tape wallets- can be for guys or girls.
  • Finger paint replicas of Van Gogh's Starry Starry Night, which is one of my favorite activities to do with kids (this is my after school tomorrow idea)
  • use Shrinky-Dinks to make jewelry
  • jewelry making with beading, felting and metal working
  • 'professional' looking valentines (think card workshop from Archiver's type of stuff)
  • Necktie Purses
  • paperbag scrapbooks
  • make trivet coasters
  • pottery- using the wheel, paint, the kiln, etc...
  • design a bulletin board

The above are things I want to do before spring break. I think it's all doable. I'm able to do everything on the list except 2 and the pottery and jewelry making will require a guest speaker which is fun for the kids. They need to be exposed to others and it's always nice to have someone else come do the work!

One thing I am doing is pulling 4 boys who are "artists" and giving them a special project. I'm going to give them each a ceiling tile and then see if they can reproduce a famous book cover on it. If this is successful, then they will go in the ceiling of the library and it can be an ongoing project. (I picked 4 boys who've shown some extra talent and want to really push them to see how well they can do...)

If I get ambitious I'm thinking I might show the kids how to make a quilt square. Then they can either make a pillow or a purse out of them. OR!!!!!!!!!!!! I could see if they would make a quilt square, donate the square back to the school and then we could make a quilt (lap, full or even a wall hanging) and then give it to a charity or donate it silent auction style to raise MORE money for the art club... I'm not sure if I'm ready to bite that off, though.

So, I'm getting my 'art' back on so all should be fun. I can't wait to see what creations the kids come up with! I'll be posting pictures!

Maggie

No comments: