Pages

Friday, September 23, 2011

Facebook .vs. Google+

Okay we all know I don't Facebook. I don't need to be social networking, I hate Mark Zuckerberg, I don't want to say something or have a picture that will get me fired, I don't want to deal with the fear of being unfriended, I don't want to play the Farm Game, I already socialize via phone and in person and via email all the people I want to socialize with, I don't want to have a war and have haters write on my wall, I can't keep up with my real time life and my blog let alone add another thing to do online especially since my computer is still taking a dump....

However... am I missing something? Should I be social networking in some way?

I don't want to come late to a party. I hate that. All the good booze is gone.

And I still feel all my reasons are valid.

What brings this to the forefront of my mind and my blog today is that I've been invited to join Google+. I've been invited many times and deleted my first several invites because I didn't know what it was and I was pissed that Google was sending me spam. Then I came out from under the rock I've been living and realized that Google+ is now a new Social Networking site that wishes to rise up and challenge the mighty giant Facebook mogul- Facebook that has 700 million users world wide and just rolled out a bunch of changes this week with more to come over the next several?

Yeah... right. Google + is so gonna win that fight. Not.

I've been reading about Google+ and it sounds like what Facebook is already doing so why would current Facebook users defect? Just because of the name Google? I don't think so.

So why would I join Google +? Google + doesn't change my reasons: I don't need to be social networking even if it's on Google +, I still don't want to say something or have a picture that will get me fired even if it's on Goggle +, I still don't want to deal with the fear of being unfriended or whatever version of this is on Google+, I already socialize via phone and in person and via email all the people I want to socialize with and still don't need Google+ to do that, I don't want to have a war and have haters write on my Google +, I can't keep up with my real time life and my blog let alone add another thing to do online especially since my computer is still taking a dump unless Google + wants to give me a computer but I don't think their marketing campaign involves giving people computers to join works.

Reasons I would join: Well, there is no Mark Zuckerberg, for one. BUT the other thing is.... there are no people. Or not many that I know. That's a valid reason for my interest in Google +.

And I get the irony of what I'm saying: I like the idea of joining Google + because it's not so crowded like at Facebook and there aren't that many people to deal with at Google +.

Yes, my friends, ... less people is my reason to join? Defeating the whole purpose, of course. I think I answered my own questions.

I am so NOT cut out for social networking...

Maggie

4 comments:

sam said...

Hey Maggie,

After several years of not wanting to join Facebook, I finely did. I like it. The main reason I joined was to keep up with friends and look at the pictures that they post. If you keep all your settings private the only people who will see your page are the ones that you friend. I don't play any of the games and if my friends do you can block that activity. I have a lot of friends in bands and they list their gigs. It's all what you make it! Some people try to approve as many "friends" that that can. I have 80. It's nice to "see" what they are doing in their lives.

P

Evil Pixie said...

I'm on both Facebook and Google+. Both have their pros and cons, but I can say I'm finding Facebook tiresome and irksome. The changes - based on far-reaching assumptions - that Facebook keeps making remind me more of the book 1984, then a place to socialize. At least Google+ doesn't advertise my every move, comment, or like and it offers more controls then Facebook. If you do Google+ - be sure to let me know. :)

Jimmie Earl said...

I am this close )( to quitting Facebook for some of the reasons you list. With my e mails and blogging, I really don't need to spend any more time on the computer. (Not including the time I spend doing crosswords daily on the net) I get pissed that some people make Facebook their campaign platform for contests, selling stuff for their kids, etc. Also, I don't like the new additions that Facebook is doing, plus the fact that somebody else can now tag a photo on your wall. Yuck! Someone from my grade school years (55+ago) put a pic of our 3rd grade class on my wall. I didn't ask for it. She just did it. I deleted it, so now that "friend" is probably pissed at me. It's a no-win either way. My advice: stay off Facebook. It's not worth the hassle.

Lilli said...

This is so ironic, because my hubby and I have been arguing about Facebook. I hate it. He loves it. He even wrote a little article about his opinion on it. I read it and it made sense that is how he connects to people; just not for me. I don't see Facebook or any social network as supporting authentic and deep relationships. If they lead to outside relationships, well good, but for the majority they are shallow relationships. So I applaud you and might make my hubby come read your blog :)