Pages

Monday, April 27, 2009

Feelin' a Bit Holly Golightly of late

Lately I've been renewing my love affair with Audrey Hepburn. And to anyone who might be a new reader, no I'm not a gay man trapped in a woman's body- I don't think so anyway...

I'm just a huge fan of Audrey Hepburn. I am even sporting her famous pixie cut- though I do want to say I did it because it's practical for summer, not because of my fan obsession! And on MSN my icon happens to be Holly having breakfast in front of Tiffany's. And we all know I've been having my bouts with the mean reds these days. I've been watching her movies that I own on DVD- Roman Holiday, Funny Face, Sabrina, My Fair Lady, and my all time favourite, Breakfast at Tiffany's. I adore this movie. I love this movie. Holly Golightly is one of the best film roles of all times, and I find that I have an affinity such a character, and I have a tendency to be a bit Holly Golightly often.

Just recently I discovered that Truman Capote wrote Breakfast At Tiffany's, as a short story before it became a film. It had some beautiful words and images. I love the way Capote turns a phrase and the words drip like honey off the page. It's delicious. And I think I fell in love with the literary Holly even more than the movie Holly.

So, I've started messing around on the Internet because I wanted 2 things. First, I want a new little black dress and my wonderful friend Curley is the best seamstress in the world. And Daddy-O said he would get the material and every girl just needs a LBD and I want one modeled on one that Audrey wore. The second thing I want is a new sleep mask. I used to have one, and it helped me sleep great, but I've lost it in my move back to Civilization. Of late I've been a member of the Insomnia Club so I think a sleep mask would help. So I was poking around the 'net, looking for a dress pattern and a replica of the sleep mask that Holly wears. And you would not believe what I found.

Audrey and Holly are ALL OVER THE NET! There are some serious fans of Holly Golightly and the effervescent Audrey. Almost scary like fans. Stalker like fans if she were alive. People dress like her and post it on youtube. Bloggers adopt her name, her character names for blogs. Sites are dedicated to Audrey. There are copies of papers people have written about her and also tribute columns. MySpace and Facebook are dedicated to her, usernames of her... just really everything Holly and Audrey. BUT, I did find some cool and fun sites that are clever and entertaining. I also found my pattern and the sleep mask. There are 2 sites I especially I like.

The Fabulous Audrey Hepburn is about all things Audrey, not just Holly Golightly. It's a news and fan site combination. I like it and it's classy without seeming like the blog author is wacko. I've read through and it has all sorts of stuff, like news about new books about Audrey, or when there's an art gallery opening dedicated to her. There's a post about where to find stuff to make a Holly Golightly Halloween costume. There's where to buy Audrey stuff, updates about movies remakes... just everything Audrey, without being "gushy" or fawning over her. I love this site!

One site is totally cool. It's a tourist guide (from Guidespot) to New York City, the Holly Golightly way. It's so much fun. The next time I got to NYC, I want to do it the Holly way, for sure. It gives tips on how to dress for the City, 1001 things to do, a list of childlike activities that would be utterly Holly, the need for a partner in crime, vintage shops to shop Holly style, and of course, the trip wouldn't be complete without a visit to Tiffany's. And may I agree with the site's author and suggest a breakfast in front of Tiffany's, Holly style? The theme is to be spontaneous and adventurous on your trip to the Big Apple. There are lots of fun links to make your trip to the City that Never Sleeps fun beyond your wildest dreams.

And of course there is the official Audrey Hepburn web site, about her life, her children's fund. it's interesting and fun. I love running my cursor around its homepage because a trail of stars follows in a whimsical way that seems to be totally Audrey.

She was an amazing woman and such a great actress. From Sabrina to Eliza and yes, to Holly, the images left on the silver screen were memorable and will last a lifetime. So, go watch an Audrey Hepburn movie- might I suggest Breakfast at Tiffany's? Relax and Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anna said...

My 16 year old daughter is a fan as well.

Maggie said...

Ty-Anna: she's certainly appealing to fans of all ages!

Alexandra Friedman said...

Great post with awesome resources! I am the Community Manager at Guidespot, and I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed, "Holly Golightly's Guide to New York City." Thank goodness one of our authors wasn't one of the obsessive writes you found on the net! haha! Keep up the great blog!

Maggie said...

Ms Friedman: Thank you so very much for the compliment and the visit! I can't wait to do NYC Holly Style!

Hope you keep reading...

And um... I'm looking for a job, if you do hiring! :)