Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Bo-ING!

A few weeks ago I did the coolest thing: jumped on a trampoline. Yeah, that doesn't sound like a big deal, I realize, but it wasn't your average jump on a trampoline in someone's back yard. It was a HUGE trampoline extravaganza!

There's a place that has an indoor trampoline park. That's right- a trampoline PARK! You pay to jump, you get special jumping shoes and then can go to town. There's a big section that just for jumping. The floor and walls are trampolines. You can just jump up and down or bounce off the walls. You can run up the walls and then bounce back onto the floor. You can do twists, turns and somersaults. Or just bounce.

Then there's a dodge ball section. The floor and walls are trampolines and they have a special ball. You can wait in line to play a game of dodge ball. There's also a referee to moderate so it doesn't get out of hand or control.

There's a section that's a giant foam pit. You can trampoline up and down and then bounce right into the foam pit. Or do a flip into the foam pit.

There's a toddler area of walled and floored trampolines so they don't get trampled by the kids and adults in the other areas.

There's also a basketball area where you can bounce and then slam dunk or do flips and turn as you put the ball in the hoop. It's not a place to play a b-ball game, but to do tricks to get the basket.

I want to say right up front, as a 40 year old woman, I did NOT play dodge ball or basket ball. I really would've felt more at home in the toddle area, really. I also didn't do the foam pit. I was in line to do the foam pit and it looked like fun but my big fear was GETTING OUT of the foam pit. I didn't want the trampoline monitor to stop all jumping to come get the fat old lady out. You had to crawl. There was not a ladder. I would've been screwed. I did watch people do it and it was cool looking. I also watched dodge ball, which gave me elementary school nightmare flashbacks, so I didn't play, obviously. It looked vicious and like they were out of dodge ball blood.

I just was in the normal trampoline jumping room. I didn't try and flips or anything because I didn't want to break my neck or have a heart attack. First, I have no health insurance and second, I did NOT want to have to explain what I was doing that landed me in a hospital. It was still fun, to just bounce up and down. I did jump and fall to my butt or knees. That was fun. And it was fun to watch all these kids do flips and huge bounces like they were flying.

Also, the other that was cool was the work out. I was breathless and sweaty after 10 minutes of bouncing. I swear it was the best cardio workout I've ever had. It's a huge work out on the legs. I paid to bounce for 30 minutes and thought I was going to die before my time was up. I did stop and take a little break on a bench and I looked around and realized that most parents were sitting, and most of those were my age. Oh there were adult who were jumping but they were probably in better shape than I was. But I didn't care- I had a great time and it was so much fun!

If there's an indoor trampoline park near you, I highly recommend going. It's a great workout, tons of fun, and a great way to get in touch with your inner child!

Mags

1 comment:

Bragger said...

That is SO COOL! I've never heard of such a thing, but I'm certainly going to look for one. That's right up my alley. I can give in to my over-50-year-old inner gymnast.