Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2011

A coffee confession

Okay, I love Starbucks. You know I do. Venti Peppermint Mochas are a food group for me, and are a vital part of my existence. I even have friends bring me this beverage if they're coming from the nearest Starbucks, which is 20 minutes away. If they barista makes it extra hot (or the hottest brewable temperature without curdling the milk) then it's drinkable temperature when it gets to me. In short, I love Starbucks.

I even love to get my favorite drink all year long. It's been so hot this summer that I've tried some variations in a cold form, like in a blender and iced. They're okay but nothing to write home about. A hot venti, Peppermint Mocha with whip is the best. It makes me happy. It's reliable. It's good. It's bliss.

So I have a confession. I live 20 minutes from a Starbucks but about 6 minutes from McDonalds. And I have 2 special drinks I like to get from their McCafe menu. The hot drink is a passable substitute from my Starbucks favorite. When I want something hot I get a hot caramel mocha with whip. It's not anywhere near as good at my Starbucks beverage, but it'll do in a pinch. I'm also going to admit it's a cheaper drink, so I don't mind having it. I've also figured the best way to get a drink that's a good substitute is to NOT try and order the same thing as I get at Starbucks, but to get something else that's good. A caramel mocha serves that need.

Then there's the McCafe cold drink. As I just said, I can't find a cold drink at Starbucks that I like other than unsweetened black ice tea (I've tried all kinds, by the way, not just my favorite) with mint. McDonald's, on the other hand, has a delicious cold beverage: a caramel Frappe. I don't even like caramel drinks but at McDonalds I do. And the caramel frappe is AMAZING.

I have to say it's a better cold drink than any cold drink I've ever had at... *gulp*... Starbucks. I feel totally unfaithful to Starbucks but I had to say it. I had to confess. And I want to say it's this only drink. Not better than my soul mate, Peppermint Mocha, but better than any cold drinks.

And I feel better.

And I promise, I vow, as soon as the cold temperatures come back, I'll go back to being faithful to Starbucks, my one true love.

Mocha maven,
Mags

2 comments:

Bragger said...

Sounds delicious. One of my main weight-loss steps was to stop drinking my calories. Unfortunately, that includes beer and wine. Maybe it would be better just to be fat....

Jimmie Earl said...

It's 16 miles to the nearest Dairy Queen, but their Chocolate Peppermint Moolatte is TDF.
I agree with Bragger, maybe it would be better just to be fat. I love chocolate, ice cream, old fashioned sugar cream pie, beer, wine, margaritas. Yes, it would be better just to be fat...
JE