Pages

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Anyone want to hear a happy Valentine's day story?

Last night I had a phone date with Sam. We decided we would set a time and just talk until one of us was ready to fall asleep.

We talked for several hours and we each drank a bottle of wine. This is an interesting way to get to know each other because it's all about talking and sharing. We can't kill time with a movie or doing stuff- we are getting to know each other since we're a continent apart, separated by an ocean. We talk just about every day, every night.

It was funny because last night we concluded that we've told each other stuff that we haven't ever told other people, which is cool, and scary. We laugh LOTS and tell stories. We debate politics, talk about the news, films, books, our lives. We giggle and sigh and are often times very stupid and teenage like. We talk jobs and families.

And since we actually had a date, we were sweet and silly and just relaxed. It was our Valentine's Day since we couldn't be together, we did our own thing.

Background so what he did makes sense: Sam moved to Ireland for... a change in life. He asked his wife of 10 years for a divorce and then got the heck out of dodge. He was sick of working in a Bush DC and thought he would just flee the country and do something he always wanted- live internationally. The time was right, the job offer was irresistible and he went. He, of course, had no idea he would meet an American still in the States that he was "intrigued" by and that he found "beautiful, smart, charming, sexy, smarmy when necessary, and witty." <-- That's me he's talking about!!!! I understand him, I "get" this, wanderlust??? I mean, does this guy sound like anyone we know- maybe some crazy girl who moved to the Wild West to teach school??? Hmmmmmm? Anyone? Anyone?

So... here we are, with a Pond between us, feeling a bit melancholy and whimsical, on the eve of Valentine's Day, having a silly phone date, chatting in the darkness, drinking our wine when he gave me a Valentine's gift. He... well... he... sang to me. He had a beautiful voice, with some classical training thrown in, and he... he put a head set on (phone) and grabbed his guitar and sang and played me a song. The. Most. Romantic. Thing. In. History. O.M.G!!!!!! Yes, schmaltzy. Yes, you can't believe it and I know Farrago is rolling his eyes and throwing up in the back of his mouth a little bit. BUT-- it was charming, sweet, perfect. I... I... and it gets BETTER. He picked a song. And had to learn it for this occasion. And I'm putting the lyrics (and a youtube video) here because, well, because he's a guy who picked this particular song. Oh hell, I'm not gonna spell it out- just read the words, and it will make sense. "It's a Long Way Back Home" by BNL.

My dear Goddess, help me, help us all because... I like him; I really like him.... Oh dear. Oh dear... Can a phone date be one of the best dates ever?

Happy *Heart* Day! Love and kisses,
Maggie


It's a long way back home
to pack up and leave again
Together alone
You without me again

It's a long way back home
and a long way back here again
I should have known
That you would just bleed again

For the first time I knew what to do
The first time it's just me and you
and then the worst timing I ever knew
I have to go
I already know

It's a long way back home
To feel like I'm far away
How should I know
What goes on here anyway?

For the first time I knew what to do
The first time it's just me and you
and then the worst timing I ever knew
I have to go
I already know

Why not spend a week on a star
No time, he can't get there by car
When we get some time on our own
We'll plan our next year alone

It's a long way back home
from just about anywhere
'Cause once through the door
I'm not even halfway there

For the first time I knew what to do
The first time it's just me and you
and then the worst timing I ever knew
I have to go
I already know

It's a long way back home

6 comments:

Tony Gasbarro said...

OUCH! Hey! Why you pickin' on me? Why would you suspect I'm "throwing up in my mouth a little?"

This is one hella sweet romance, girlie! I'm a HUGE romantic softie, and I only envy the guy his talents and commitment (to be able to play the guitar, to learn a whole song just for one reason, and then to have the balls to play it for you? A high-five to the dude!).

I'm happy you found this guy, accidental as it may be.

Maggie said...

Farrago- I was kidding- you're always... well, sarcastic... I'm sorry I hurt your romantic side! I promise to not harsh on your again! :)

And thanks... I'm glad i found him too- I think... scary scary stuff, this romance.

Anna said...

I love the idea of a phone date...wishing you the best

Jimmie Earl said...

After our long talk this morning, I "get" where you are coming from. Don't let my little "dose of reality" get in your way. It's great that you have a chance to be happy. We are only given so many of those chances in our lifetime. GO FOR IT!
JE

The W.O.W. factor! said...

I'm with your Dad here..
only so many chances given to us in life...GO FOR IT!
I am so excited for you Maggie. And I love the song and him singing to you?
Priceless!

Maggie said...

Ty-Anna- thank you! We need it!

Thanks Daddy-O! I'm gonna go for it and if I crash and burn... well, we'll eat ice cream together and watch "An affair to remember!"

WOW- thank you so much! I have to give this a try. I haven't click with anyone like this in years and years and well... it's awesome. Just awesome! (And the singing was certainly priceless. I shall never forget that, for sure!)